Most car engines have been designed to operate at a certain temperature level. This is between 195 to 220 degrees. This temperature should be maintained consistently so that the car performs well and for you to save on fuel.
Causes of engine overheating
A car engine has a cooling system which absorbs, transports and dissipates heat. If anything reduces the functioning of the cooling system then it will stop functioning effectively. This could be low coolant levels; the radiator has poor airflow or even a slipping fan clutch.
The thermostat must be in a good working state so that it keeps the engine’s temperature at the normal range. If the thermostat does not operate effectively the flow of the coolant is blocked and overheating is the result.
Signs that your engine is overheating
Some of the signs of an overheated engine are:
- A funny, unusual smell from the engine.
- The needle on the temperature gauge has moved up.
- There is steam or vapor emanating from your hood.
What to do
Now that you are sure what you should look out for, what should you do in case your engine goes insane?
- The first thing you should do when you notice the signs of overheating is to pull over. You can tell that the car temperature is getting out of control by checking the gauge and if it’s heading to H then you better hoot and pull over. Yes you should pay attention to what the engine light is saying because whenever it comes on it only means one thing, you need to be on the lookout.
- After pulling over you should then open your hood so that heat can escape. Remember overheating occurs when the heat is poorly dissipated. Be careful when opening the hood as there is a possibility of getting burned. Use the latches.
- If the engine is hot then do not dare open the radiator cap. Opening the cap releases hot steam that is under a lot of pressure. This can result in terrible burns.
- You should check the coolant tank and fill it if necessary. The reservoir is usually made of plastic so that it is easy to tell the levels of the coolant. The tank also has marks to let you know when the coolant level is dangerously low. If your car has no coolant tank simply wait for the radiator to check the levels.
- Check for any leaks in the cooling system. If the radiator looks out of what is ordinary then you better check for any signs of leakage.
- If your car is completely out of coolant then you should not drive it at all because this will cause serious damage to your engine.
- If you are not well acquainted with car problems then it would be better to simply call your mechanic and let them handle the issue professionally.
If there is professional assistance readily available then it would be better to call a towing company and have your car taken to the car mechznic mississauga shop. They will know what to do over there and you will back on the road.